Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Carpenter's Daughter, Artisan Bakery and Cafe, Taipan

I'm not good with Taipan area, or USJ as a matter of fact. So, my friend drove me down to Taipan to have a go at this cafe since some of my friends were raving about its goodness and godliness. If you hate traffic, do not go down to Taipan. Their traffic is horrendous by nature and with the MRT on construction, its hell times two.

Located in the busy Taipan area, it is easy to miss this small cafe with all the rows of the shoplot, however, its located near the main entrance. So, it was relatively alright to spot it if you pay attention to all the signboards of the shops. For easier identification, its opposite Ampang Yong Tau Foo. 

The cafe was cosy and comfortable. It gives a very homey vibe with small arrays of tray with bread and buns, while the back area was the cafe. It is rather small with only less than 10 tables. They decorated the walls with simple shelves filled with decorative items that despict the olden days cafe in France while the pictures of cafe and posters of quotes don the plain wall.

First thing to note about this cafe and their products - its said to made of organic and natural ingredients. It is also suitable for people that are lactose intolerance because they have a range of those. The taste might vary slightly since it will be a "healthier" option.

Today's pictures are taken via my iPhone, forgive the resolution.








Cappuccino at RM 8.90
I suppose they are not really purely professional baristas because their coffee are pretty much just alright. I had the cappucino. The bean wasn't very fragrant honestly, so the coffee didn't smell as good as other coffeehouse that I've been to. It is pretty bitter, less sweet by a whole lot than the usual cappuccino. Its a nice compliment to all the sweet cakes that we were having.

Cafe Latte at RM 8.90
The latte was fine also. Nothing to rave about either. My friend did comment that the milk that they used for the foam didn't taste that good. Well, I suppose their specialty is their cake, not their coffee. Its decent but just don't expect really good coffee. I was expecting some coffee art too but obviously I was met with disappointment.



Tiramisu at RM 10.90
Presentation wise, its a very pretty cake. Taste wise? First bite was heavenly. Rich in mascarpone cheese and a rich and solid chocolate sponge based, this tiramisu is as good as it looks. It definitely worth the money I just paid. However, there was one Oomph that was lacking. The coffee taste was not significant or strong enough. As you can see from the picture, the sponge was relatively dry, not soaked with coffee. Well, in that area, I guess they should improve it.

Chocolate Brownies with Ice Cream  at RM 9.90
This is good, but not great. Rich, moist, sinful and heavenly was all I can describe the brownie. However, it wasn't great because it lacks something which I'm not sure what was it, compared to the gooey brownie I had at Delicious, this seems the less sinful version. Nonetheless, it is still good and recommended. The ice cream ain't your typical vanilla ice cream, but rather its a rich nougat flavored ice cream. But beware, there are icicles in the ice cream because my friend bit something really hard and it turned out to be an icicle! Speak about eating hazard!

Red Velvet at RM 9.90
I had better. Perhaps I wasn't used to their organic range of ingredients, the cupcake was made of real beetroot. So, expect the taste to vary from your usual red velvet. But I kind of liked it too because it was real moist and the cream cheese was fine to the mouth. Instead of loading a thick coat of cream cheese, they had a fine layer but rich enough to taste it. It was goodness but a healthier goodness.

Mango Passion at RM 8++
This was one of the healthier option on the menu, but the taste was just plain weird. It's either because of the use of organic ingredients or something, it didn't taste good. The sponge was dry, I'm unsure if its like that because its flourless or something. I forgot to look at the ingredients stated there. Well, it has poppy seeds if you like it. However, this is definitely not what I will order again. The mango taste wasn't even significnant.

Apple Pie 
Looks good right? However, I've to say this. I make better apple pie. Haha. I like flaky pie crust compared to this type of pie crust. The fillings are generous, however, I think it lacked apple bitlets that I would prefer and it would have been better with more apple sauce. It would be served with ice cream if you chose to have it at the cafe. I bought it back for my dad, so no ice cream in place.

Ciabbata Bread 

It smelled good and delicious. However, mom said there was too much yeast in the bread, so its a little elastic. Haha. It was claimed to have olive and herbs. However, they could be more generous with the herbs because it is seriously lacking some herbs there in terms of taste. No offense, I would have baked better herb bread. 

It is a decent cafe. I would most probably be back to try their main courses. Their menu was pretty impressive with all sorts of dessert, cakes and main courses. I would most probably take a chance with their main courses though it was a tad too pricey, pricing - try to imagine Plan B pricing.

Ratings : 3.5/5.0
Price : RM 20++ 

No.46G, Jalan USJ 10/1E, Subang Taipan, Selangor
Tel : 603-8081 1218 / +6016-2762 811

-thevanillapudding-

No comments:

Post a Comment