Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chocolate Lava Cake/Moltan Cake

I've been posting so much review on restaurant and coffeehouse that I think I should drop a few post on my own baking adventures. I'm no professional in baking, most of my baking experiences are based on online recipes and trial and errors.

So today, I'll be posting about my all time favorite recipe! Chocolate lava cake, a oh-so-sinful dessert that just melts in your mouth. This desert has a solid but firm texture on the outside, but when you cut into the centre, rich velvety chocolate oozes out. With a spoonful of pure vanilla ice cream and hot chocolate oozing out from the cake, what you get is a lustful bite of haven.

I've made it a couple of time and I've never receive any lashback from it, so I suppose its good enough for everyone. A fine delicate dessert but its just so simple that amateur wouldn't have an issue preparing it!

My first attempt at it

My third attempt at it 


The two pictures above, I prepared it during a Christmas party at my friend's place and I was too busy working in the kitchen till I forgotten to snap a picture of it, these were taken by my friend's iPhone. I apologize for the bad resolution. But the whole plate was worthy of a five star hotel dessert, so don't fret about something so simple!

Prep Time : 20 mins
Cook Time : 10/15 mins
Serves : 4 ramekins

Ingredients :
Good quality dark baking chocolate - 113g
Butter - 113g
Eggs - 2
Sugar - 35g
All purpose flour - 40g
Coffee powder - a pinch (optional, my preference to enhance the chocolate taste)
Cocoa powder - to coat the ramekin after buttering (optional)
Butter - to coat the ramekin
Chopped walnuts, icing sugar and mint leaf for garnishing

Steps :
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. (Place a heatproof bowl/pyrex bowl over a pot of boiling water. Reduce the heat to low once place the bowl on top. Add chopped chocolates and stir till smooth)
2. In a mixer, beat eggs and sugar till fluffy and light.
3. Once the chocolate are fully melted, add in the butter. (Usually the heat in the chocolate will melt the butter, if the chocolate had cool, put it over the pot to help melt the butter)
4. Add chocolate butter mixture in sugar and eggs and add the flour. 
5. Add a pinch of coffee powder to enhance the chocolate taste. Mix well till fully incorporated, don't overmix.
6. Butter the ramekins and coat it with a layer of cocoa powder to give it a richer cocoa flavor.
7. Fill it with the mixture at least 3/4 of the ramekin.
8. Bake it in a preheated oven of 180C for 10 minutes to have gooey center or 15 to have solid center.
9. Serve it with vanilla ice cream, sprinkles of icing sugar and chopped walnuts and garnish with mint leaf.

Tips :
*The mixture can be kept overnight if you intend to bake it other times.
*This can be made advanced and if you intend to bake it a month later, put it in the freezer; if you plan to bake it 2 days later, the fridge would be fine.
*Check the chocolate lava cake when placed in the oven to ensure you don't over bake it. The moment, you see its solid on the outside, take it out and serve immediately, NEVER leave it in the oven or you'll overbake it.
*Use a kitchen knife to go around the edges to ensure easy flipping when you flip it over the plate.
*BE CAREFUL as the ramekins are very hot.

Original recipe adapted from Molten Lava Cake.

-thevanillapudding-

No comments:

Post a Comment