Friday, February 15, 2013

La Bodega, Bangsar

Happy Valentine Day! I spent the morning having a wonderful breakfast at La Bodega, Bangsar on this special day. The original plan was to head off to Antipodean for breakfast, but it was so packed and there was a waiting list! So, we detoured to La Bodega which was just next door of Antipodean. 

It was pouring in the morning and that makes sitting at the sidewalk of La Bodega more cooling than the usual hot weather. We sat outside on their sidewalk while enjoying the morning breeze from the rain. The smell of rain was glorious, its not everyday in Malaysia that you are able to enjoy a breakfast at the sidewalk without sweating! 

Long Black at RM 11
Mom and dad ordered a cup of long black. The coffee in La Bodega were prepared using illy beans. The long black prepared was more acidic to my liking, but my parents loved it. It was rich in texture and leaves a lingering taste in your mouth. That is when the little piece of pastry comes into handy. The pastry is basically soft sponge butter cake overloaded with sugar to curb the bitterness and sourness of the coffee.

Fresh Juice - a combo served with English Breakfast 
The fresh juice was a little dilute and sour to my liking.

Caffe Latte @ RM 12
I need milk in my coffee. I would never touch an Americano or Long Black. Latte is one my favorite coffee drink whenever I'm in a coffeehouse. To be honest, their latte is pretty good with a subtle hint of of coffee instead of it being drowned in milk. It wasn't excessively sweet, but rich enough to savor the coffee bean's slight bitterness.

Big Breakfast @ RM 33 (if I remembered correctly)
A hearty breakfast ordered by my youngest brother. In terms of portion, it is smaller than the ones I saw in Antipodean and definitely slightly pricier. It comes with two farm fresh eggs cooked to your choice which in this case he picked scrambled, beef bacon, toast, sausages, sauteed mushroom, grilled tomato and baked beans. In the whole plate, my favorite was the beef bacon and mushrooms. Is the whole plate worth it? Well, I guess if you're willing to pay, why not?

Rye Bread Toast with condiments
Of all things, my mom had to pick toast. The rye bread was a little tough actually. To me, I won't order toast for breakfast since I can make it on my own as I felt it is of a waste of money.  

French Toast with Maple Syrup and Butter @ RM 11
Their french toast were pretty good. They took a surprising twist by using a baguette, perhaps something slightly soft but holds its texture. As most french toast uses plain bread, it usually becomes a lumpy piece of bread with no crisp to it, however, this was different. It was crispy and not soggy, a total plus point! 

Egg Benedict with Smoked Turkey Ham with Hollandaise Sauce

Perfect egg benedict

All those yummy yolk
I had the egg benedict for breakfast and was it filling. The eggs were poached perfectly with a gooey yolk in the center. The turkey ham was slightly salty which did well to reduce the overpowering taste of the yolk. A piece of small ham, some yolk and rye bread was a good combination. The hollandaise sauce was thick and rich, however, I'm not a fan of extra buttery sauce. The butter was so rich that a small taste of it makes me feel sick, so I barely touched the dressing at all. To me, it was quite filling after the first egg because of the richness of the yolk.

Beef Bacon as Extra Sides @ RM 7
The beef bacon was godly. Instead of hard bacon that you get in most hotel breakfast, these were cooked till tenderness. Definitely beef bacon of high quality!

I would definitely be back for a second round, perhaps to try their main courses and have more coffee! Their food is definitely a tad bit pricey, however, there is quality in it and the portions are pretty filling for me. So yes, give this place a try for breakfast if Antipodean is full! However, one downside - parking is hell!

Ratings : 4/5
Pricing : RM 30 per pax (estimate)

16, Jalan Telawi 2, 
Bangsar Baru, 59100 KL. 
Tel : 03 2287 8318, 03 2287 3808
Operating Hours : Monday-Friday (Noon-1AM), Sat, Sun

-thevanillapudding-

No comments:

Post a Comment