Thursday, February 7, 2013

Restaurant Gou Lou, Uptown

Looking for good fish head noodles is tough because they usually never live up to the standards that I expect them to. But luck was on my side, I found a place which serves a pretty good bowl of fish head noodles, here in PJ! But of course, there were downsides to it as well.

Located in Uptown, behind Jojo Pan Mee that row, it is easy to get a parking if you're there during the weekend or weeknights, but if you're there for lunch during office hours, good luck with that. I was there on a Saturday night, it was pretty quiet with a few family around.


I ordered their homemade herb drink aka "Pat Ji Chou" which I am not quite sure what was its english name. However, this was really good - it was sweet, but not too sweet. Very suitable with the fish head noodles that was steaming hot. 



Mom ordered the watercress drink - another type of "cooliing" drink or in Cantonese terms, more "liong". Again, it is delicious and not too sweet. 


However, their homemade cincau was a tad disappointing. The syrup was lacking of the smell and taste of pandan leaf. 


The fish paste noodles is a good substitute for customers who refuse to spend time and effort savoring the fish head. The paste was well marinated and there was a generous amount of paste in the dish itself. But what deserved more credit was the soup. It was thick and milky and delicious compared to most of the watery soup that I had in other fish head noodles shops. We requested for less milk, so make sure you don't do that because I think with more milk, it tasted even better and mind blowing. 


I had the fish head noodles - the instant one according to the menu. It is not that they used instant fish or what not, but I wanted to the non-fried fish head which means the one poached in soup. So instead of getting fresh fried fish, I opted for the healthier option. They used a fresh water fish named the Bonito Fish, the flesh itself was soft and smooth.

I am quite happy with the fish itself. But there was one downside! They gave me the stomachs and the fins! I don't even know how to eat them as it has a funny smell and it has lots of fats! So I felt ripped off. Unless you love fish stomach, tell them specifically you don't want it!



Bro had the tom yum fish head noodles. It was a little dilute but the tom yam taste was there. Rich in taste and quite spicy. He had the fried fish head noodles and boy, I regretted ordering the non fried fish. The fried version was way better, delicious and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I was literally stealing my bro's fish meat!


The fried dumplings are a must try. It is small in size and relatively expensive for 6 miserable pieces BUT I can assure you the dumplings are no rip off. It is small but compact with minced meat. Each bite into the dumpling oozes a juicy minced meat filling wonderfully marinated.

The service and food was satisfactory, I would most probably return for a second round. Their pricing is also quite reasonable. However, there was one major downside I would highlight. Their soup is MSG loaded, like seriously heavily MSG overloaded. I was downing 2 bottles of water after the meal and it didn't curb my thirst at all. So, if you are alright with heavily MSG food, give this place a shot.

Ratings : 4.0/5.0


Address:
73, Jalan SS21/60,
Damansara Utama
47400 Petaling Jaya
Operating Hours:
9.30am - 10.00pm )Mon - Fri)
8.00am - 10.00pm (Sat, Sun & Public Holiday)

-thevanillapudding-

No comments:

Post a Comment