Monday, February 4, 2013

Artisan Roast, TTDI

So here's the thing - I've been reading reviews on how Artisan Roast is awesome and mind blowing and a must go for coffee lovers. So, me being me, must give it a try although my dad had already warned me that place is horrible and way out of their expectations. And as my dad's daughter, I should never doubt him because he is has higher standard for food compared to me. 

But I still wanted to try it out, so I met up with a friend at the Taman Tun branch for coffee. He was a long time friend whom I haven't met in ages and what better way to bond other than having a cuppa? And boy, I was in for a big disappointment.

Stepping into the cosy little shoplot, it was a hell lot of people with no where to sit and the chattering of the customers overpowered the music that plays through their system. The smell of coffee was vague though. Expecting myself to be warmly greeted by the person mendling the counter or maybe in this case the barista was a disappointment. Perhaps they are busy and we had to wait for a while to get the barista tending to our orders.

That is fine with me. You are busy I totally get it. But what I didn't like at all was the attitude of the barista - I was greeted by a non-smiling poker face barista that seems to be dreading what he do and he gives the vibe of I-don't-give-a-shit about you attitude. That totally ruined my mood. He seems to be annoyed? Agitated? That's pretty much I can say about his attitude. And honestly, with all due respect, I felt like slapping him the face and splash a cup of cold water to make his attitude take a 360 turn.

As a barista and a person in the FNB business, he should know that the most important thing is the customer service. Regardless how good your coffee can be, a totally bullshit attitude is going to turn off the customer. Maybe the other customers doesn't care or aren't that sensitive like I am, but I am a person who places high importance on customer service and if you can't just give a smile to your customer, you should just pack up and leave.

I apologize that I am complaining so much about their customer services, but that is what irks me. But I wasn't the only one being sensitive, I had friends who been there a couple of time and received the same ole treatment, my parents weren't spared from their attitude either.


We weren't able to get seats inside the cooling aircond, so we had to resort sitting out in the open air. The humid weather killed my appetite for a warm mocha, so instead I ordered an iced mocha. It was a bad move and I am so disappointed with it. Not only was the drink not mixed apprioprately, there were so much coffee powder in the drink that I felt like I was having coffee powder instead of a beverage. I have my friend to vouch for that.

Basically they didn't ensure that everything was well dissolved before adding the ice. So, what I drank was a hell lot of undissolved coffee powder. My friend had the single shot espresso if I remember right and he find the beans to be quite sour to his liking. But then again, that is personal preference.


I ordered the mini slices of cakes because I just workout and I wasn't keen on having a huge piece of cake either. This is the chocolate orange mint cake, I can't remember the name but it taste like one, I think its called Jaffa. Oh well, the cake was moist and the orange mint taste was strong which is good, because I love minty cakes. So for this cake, I give a thumbs up.


I always found caramel to be unsuitable to be used in cakes because when you freeze it, it becomes hard and difficult to eat. In this case, it was tough because it was kept cold and the caramel stuck to my tooth, something that I didn't fancy. So would I order this again? I don't think so. Unless you are crazy fan for caramel cakes, then try to abstain from it.


This is a simple chocolate cake - moist and good enough to satisfy a decent chocolate lover like me. The thin layer of ganache on the top does its role well in giving the rich chocolaty taste and nothing too much while the interior was moist and generally has a melt in your mouth sensation. However, it is best consumed chill. I was sitting out with my friend and left the slice there for a tad too long till it turned slightly too soft.


My friend ordered their cheesecake. I have a friend who is a cheesecake lover, just like me and she claimed that their cheesecake is godly which of course we both decided to have a go at it. However, I wasn't that crazy over it. It was light in texture and not as rich as how a New York Cheesecake would be. I am an ultimate NewYorkCheesecake fan, so this light version doesn't go down well with me. The base is a little too tough for me, I felt it should be more moist by having more butter in it. 

Overall , ther verdict? It is ok and well below my expectations. The food are palatable, the coffee is so-so. My iced mocha was a disaster to be honest, if the barista didn't look like gangsters - I would have requested for a refund. But overall, I think what turned me off the most and what made me pissed the most was their attitude to their customers. 

I've made my complain on their facebook page but would they take action? I don't really know. All I can say that if you are hoping for friendly barista - this is NOT the place for you. What they do is only to ruin your mood by showing their unprofessional attitude. 

I won't be back, neither would my friends. Perhaps another branch, but for the TTDI branch - you've been blacklisted.

Ratings : 2.0/5.0

4 Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, TTDI, KL
Tel: 03 7733 6397

Opening hours :
Mon-Fri, 8am-12midnight
Sat & Sun, 9am-12midnight

-thevanillapudding-

No comments:

Post a Comment